Subject: Exabyte write time.
From: [email-masked] (Mark Swain)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 14:26:31 -0700

Uwe Voigt wrote:  "How long does exabyte frames take to write."

I have not used the new Amiga drivers, but if they are close to a few
years ago, it takes about 8-15 seconds (ave 10 sec) on to an 8500 drive.
The time is a bit slow if you write the tape in 8200, but the real drag is
the post time to get the frames off the tape to a DDR.  It can take
twice as long to recover frames from an 8200 over an 8500.  And this is if
the tape has no errors.  If there are errors it can take much longer and 
sometime cause you to create a new tape.  The current system I use (SGI with
8505 drive) takes about 5-8 to write and 3-5 seconds to read.  These numbers
are good when network traffic is low to med.

					Mark Swain
					(Colossal) Pictures
					[email-masked]

====================
Mark Swain
(Colossal) Pictures
[email-masked]
====================